ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Penn #5, Scales Bend/Mose Mann/Grove School

North of North Liberty.  When heading north out of town on Highway 965, turn right on Scales Bend Road and proceed north past the cemetery.  The School will be on the left/west side of the road, 2.5 miles from 965.  
Photographed 8/10/13

UPDATE: The photos below were taken 1/6/23 so as to get a better view.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is this also known as the Scales Bend-Maxey School? I found a newspaper article for it. I also have Several Hand written pages telling who the teacher was for each school year and how many children were enrolled in the school beginning with Nov.1888. It looks like it may have been turned into a private home? Thanks, D Maxey

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I wouldn't be surprised if it had the name you note; many schools had two or three names to them.

This photo is of a private home. When we used a 1912 map to locate extant schools there was this one and another nearby which could have been the school. A local, old-time resident pointed to this house as the old school.

Thanks for your input!