ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Friday, April 9, 2010

Clinton Township #?, Stony Point School

I was told about this school by a supervisor at work.  When he learned Jill wanted shots of one-room schools, he said he drove by this one daily. It is located west-northwest of Cedar Rapids on Iowa SR94 (Covington Road), at the SE corner of Rogers Rd.  We took these photos 5/8/05, the day after we shot Abbe Creek.  There was a restoration effort underway at the time, but I don't know how much has been done.  This school was used from 1879 to 1959.
Update 20 April 2014:  The restoration effort was dropped for lack of funds.  Photos taken today show how much deterioration has taken place since 2005.
The following photo was posted on Facebook by Ushers Ferry Historical Park, showing the school when it was in operation.

UPDATE 12/6/22

I was recently contacted by the current owner of this school requesting permission to use one of my photos. She told me they were going to move it elsewhere for restoration!!

The first link is what she sent telling me about preparing for the future move. While the 2nd link is abou the move.

I was amazed to see the stonework in the old foundation!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I and my 4 brothers attended this school




Lawrence theisen

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Lawrence,

What time period was that?

Lawrence Theisen said...

the school has been bought and sold and is presently being moved in it's entirely, and will be completely restored to its original as close as possable , it will then be used as a tourist place to see, they are in the process of moving it now

Unknown said...

i attened school there in 1958

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Lawrence,

Thank you for that news! To where are they moving it?

Anonymous said...

Any idea where it's being moved to?

grumpybb said...

It was moved approx. 1/2 mile to the NE off of Ellis Rd and Rawson Ln.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

grumpybb,

Yes, I was given that information before it was moved. Looking forward to seeing it again.