ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Monday, October 18, 2010

Castle Grove #9, Hardscrabble School

Yesterday when we went to look for this one we discovered just how inaccurate directions can be!  Information we had was from a university study, but their directions led us on a 40 min goose-chase until we accidentally came across Hardscrabble Road (not even mentioned in the directions) and assumed it would lead to the school.  ARGH!

So if you're looking for this one, from Monticello, IA you must head west on D62 for 4.3 miles to 205th Avenue and turn north.  After traveling .7 mile you will intersect Hardscrabble Road and continue north for  another 1.5 miles to the school.  If you miss 205th Ave, the next road you will come to on the right is Hardscrabble, but I didn't get the distance (about a mile, though).

This school was used from early 1870s until 1959 and is now a private residence.  The greater percentage of its students were Indians.

Not being able to get on the property, all these were photographed with a telephoto lens.

4 comments:

Steve Hanken said...

I don't believe this school is older than 1890-91, From the Monticello Express March 5, 1891:"It seems there are a good many children in the neighborhood of Berlin's Mill without convenient school privileges, consequently the district township board organized a new district and appointed Elmer Noble and C.T. Berlin a committee to rent a room and employ a teacher. The committee rented a room in the residence of Mr. C. Seibenthial preparatory to opening a school."
The location of the mill would have been on the creek that runs just west of the school and likely near where the current bridge is located, less than 1/4 of a mile to the south of the school.
I also have no indications Indians ever were educated at this school, where that information comes from is certainly in question, as there were no Indian children in the area in that time frame.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Steve,

I got my information from the book,"Iowa's Country Schools: Landmarks of Learning," edited by William L. Sherman. The individual who compiled the data for the Jones County schools was Mrs. Wilma Merfeld of Monticello. I see I did make an error in copying; I have it used from 1870 where the book says it began operating in the early 1870s.

Steve Hanken said...

One would have to believe the Monticello Express when it says they rented a room for a school in that neighborhood in the 1890's preparatory to opening a school. That would suggest the school building was built after that point. By the 1890's to my knowledge there were no Indians in the neighborhood. Wilma doesn't always get things right, she is in her 80's or 90's.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Thanks for your information, Steve.

For now, I'll just leave your comments as additional information. When I get a chance, I'll have to really investigate this to get the complete story.

It wouldn't be the first time someone fed be wrong information!