ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Monday, November 1, 2010

Walnut School

About 5 miles southwest of Washington, IA, on State Highway 1, turn east on 290th street and go about 200 feet and you will come across this old School.  The sign tells everything about it.  It was exciting because it was the first time we saw a pony barn! (Unfortunately, the windows had wire mesh over them so, although we could look inside at the desks, etc, we could not get the camera up against the window for photography.)
Looking along the west side of the school, you can see the pony barn and one old outhouse way back.
Notice the original pump, flagpole and outhouses.  The outhouse on the left has been moved to a concrete base and externally restored for display.  The seats inside are quite rotted.
Looking over the restored merry-go-round to the unrestored outhouse.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name is David Anderson and a great great great grandson of memorial Miller and I have some paperwork about him and also a old rocking chair that belong to him I was wondering if anybody would like to know about this stuff that I have about memorial Miller. I also wanted to know if there is times you could go to schoolhouse and walk through it

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi David,

I posted your comment in case someone is looking at this post.

I am not personally interested in your family documents, but I certainly wish you luck I finding someone.
As for visit to the school, you might try Washington County Administration offices.

Anonymous said...

I went there in my 4th grade before it closed and we were transfered to Washington Jefferson