ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Vernon #8, Peosta

This school is on its original site, but I don't know when it was built.  Location:  From Peosta, go south on Y21/Sundown Rd to North Cascade Rd.  At this point Cascade Rd becomes part of Y21 southbound for a while before breaking to the SW, but right at this junction Cascade Rd heads NE.  Turn NE on North Cascade Rd and go .2 Mile (it is visible from the intersection) and it will be on the left side of the road with the front door facing east.  The building is in sad shape, with reinforcing beams placed vertically on the back wall; it sits on a hill and is beginning to lean forward.
There is a foundation here at the back which looks like it might have been a shed for an oil storage tank when the wood-burner was replaced.
I held the camera up to the windows to shoot the inside.
Photographed 1 April 2011

We have learned that this school was moved to its present location, but the person telling us didn't know where it was moved from.

No comments: