ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Friday, May 27, 2011

Pleasant Hill School, Le Claire

Located 1/2 mile west of US67 on county road F51 (Territorial Road), on the north side of town.  This school was originally about five miles north of it's present location, moved here about 30 years ago.  This school was built in 1877, closed in 1960.  The front has new vinyl siding and a new door.  It is used for tours, apparently, since you can get an appointment to see the inside (which we did not).  On the right side of the last photo you can see the pole for a piece of playground equipment, some chains still attached.
Photographs taken 5/26/11

On 10/15/16 we toured the school during a 1-room school conference, and took the following photos.  Notice how much work has been done.  The round white sign originally hung outside above the door.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I live in Ok now and paint. I was looking for an old one room school house in Iowa . Imagine my surprise when I actually found a pic of the one we used to go to school in.
Sisters & I were up there visiting & the bldg was gone we were happy to learn that it hadn't been torn down. Old memories of going to the outhouse when it hadn't been knocked over on Halloween LOL. We would love to come visit someday. Thanks for the memories Mary Ann Gast McNeal, email: maryannmcneal384@gmail.com

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

How kind of you to write. Thank you for some of your memories :o) They are precious and have brought the School to life!
Jill & Glenn