ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Monday, July 25, 2011

Franklin Independent School

This school is found in Franklin, on the northeast corner of Main Street and 204th Street (Franklin Eighth Street).  It is not a one-room school, but it is very interesting nevertheless.  It was built in 1873, closed in 1961,  and is now the city hall.  We photographed this school on 7/23/11.

The following photo taken when the school was being used is provided via Val Root:

No comments: