ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Pleasant #3, Locust School

About 10 miles north-northeast of Decorah is this school, about all that is left of the community of Locust.  It is at the NE corner of County Routes W38 and A26.  The school was built in 1854 and closed in 1962.  Supposedly it is the oldest Iowa school still on its original site.
Photos taken on 8/1/11
This photo taken on 10/12/13

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi I own the Pleasant Township #7 School house located outside Decorah Iowa.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Is that by any chance this one:
http://schoolhouses.blogspot.com/2011/10/decorah-township-decorah.html

Anonymous said...

School closed in 1962--I attended for 8 years

Luke Schissel

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Luke,

The information we were given in our visit was that it was closed in 1955. Of course that wouldn't be the first time we were provided erroneous information. Were you there in 1962

Anonymous said...

I attended from 1945 until commencement in May of 1952. I attend all reunions and remain active in ongoing repairs. We almost lost her a few years ago as the west wall began to fail. I called on a half dozen friends and fraternity brothers and raised enough together with the overall effort to save her. We are now experiencing similar problem with east wall.

There is a constant struggle in maintaining accurate historical information--the institution was open each year from 1854-1962. I have tons of photos. We have a very active organization
Supported by the Winneshiek county Historical Society. The operational dates vary from publication to publication.

Thank you for your interest .

Luke J Schissel
Class of 1952

I shall advise Paul Hexom, pleasant township president that incorrect info is being passed out
During visits

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Luke,

I just thought I'd let you know that we attended a country school conference this weekend and I met Paul Hexom, who was leading all the tours. We also purchased a CD from the Winneshiek Historical Society which I haven't looked at yet, but supposedly has all the information from the huge book they had there.

Anonymous said...

There is actually a school that's 9 years older in Bellevue, Iowa and it's still in use as a school! It's not a one room schoolhouse, but was originally built to be the Jackson County courthouse in 1845. However, it has always held classes and was converted completely into a school in 1861.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Well, this one is the oldest School house which was originally a school. Can you provide a specific location for the one in Bellevue?

Doreen Moen said...

Hello. I attended Pleasant #3 for one school year until the day it closed in 1962. I think there were only 9 of us. Our teacher used a projector to create silhouettes of our heads and put them up, to remember the last students to attend. I don't know if they are still there. Once it closed we were bussed in to school in town. Our wonderful teacher was Mrs. Phister. We were heartbroken until we saw her again on the playground at our new school in Decorah.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

What a good memory to see your old teacher!