ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Unknown School, SE of Brooklyn

We discovered this school while driving on Interstate 80, but during the summertime there is much foliage covering it from the highway.  We looked on a map to see how to find this school, and the best way is to use exit 197 off of I-80, and take the first road south of the highway, eastbound.  This road is 415th St/County Highway F39.  Continue to 200th St, were 415th ends, but F39 turns south.  There is a trace of 415th continuing eastbound, all overgrown and part of the farm.  The school has been moved from an unknown location and sits on the trace of 415th a couple hundred feet east of 200th St.  It is being used as a machine shed, with a garage door opening at the original front, which now faces south.
Photographed 12/17/11
These last two photos were photographed on 11/3/12 from the north side of I-80.  They show the back side of the building and the addition on its east side.

No comments: