ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Washington Township, Center High School


This is NOT a 1-room school, but it is of the same time period, being built in 1926.  It is a high school, and looks like it had four rooms on the main floor, with a full basement.  Looking in the window I could see a normal water pump coming out of the floor on the north side of that lower level!  
On 520th St, at the NE corner of Derby Ave, about .75 mile west of Angle Road. Directly across the street from Washington #5.  Now used by the Washington Township Optimist Club.
The first photo was taken looking at the west side of the building.  Notice in the last photo, of the north side of the building, there is a place where a third set of windows used to be.
Photographed 8/3/13

The following photos of the inside were taken on 10/11/14

No comments: