ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Hazel Dell School, Houghton


Now a house with additions.  From US218, go west on State highway 16 to Houghton.  At 211 Main St., which is south side of road across from Catholic Church.  The school was moved here from its original location at the NE corner of 160th St (J40) and 170th Ave.

This first photo was taken approaching from the east.  You can see the original structure with the addition jutting out from the east side, as well as off the back.
Photographed 9/14/13

This photo of the original building is via Val Root

No comments: