ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Flannery School

Flannery School.  Used from 1935 to 1969, moved to present location in 1975. The following is from the Des Moines Register’s “Lost Schools” archives: “This one-room schoolhouse, the last known remaining in Clinton County, was moved to its current location on SENC land to save it from demolition the fall of 1975. …This school was built in the summer of 1935, making it the last one-room school built in Clinton County. … It opened for classes the fall of 1935 and was located on Humestown Road on Mr. Herb Peters property North of Dewitt, IA. The original name was “Flannery”, later changed to North DeWitt No. 2. The original school which it replaced was built before 1900. … Following the construction of the new school, the original school was purchased and used by a local farmer as a hog shed.
- submitted by Soaring Eagle Nature Center/Clinton County.
Depart Clinton northbound on US67/3rd St.  At Cragmor US67 breaks left off of 3rd St; turn east on Cragmor followed by an immediate turn north onto 3rd St. and proceed about 500 ft.  The school is on the right an sits well back from the road and faces west.  A sign is right next to the road.

The shots of the interior were made by holding the camera against the window and attempting to focus through the glass.  The first shot is a zoom of the blackboard information about the school.

Photographed on 10/8/14

3 comments:

A. Bousselot said...

One of my favorites! My mother-in-law was a student here.

Anonymous said...

I was a student there. Miss Danielson was our kindergarten teacher.

Anonymous said...

Miss Danielsen (Mrs. Ellenor Cronin) was my paternal aunt and her only sibling was my father. She lived a life I always desired to emulate until her death when she was in her nineties