ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Monday, January 11, 2016

Maine #1, Jordan’s Grove School

Built 1900.  4058 Jordan’s Grove Rd.  Best route from SR13 is to turn east on Burnett Station Rd and go about 2.5 miles to Jordan’s Grove Rd; Burnett turns N onto Jordan’s Grove for a short distance.  School sits the NW corner where Burnett bends eastbound.

Photographed 1/11/16

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I lived in this little gem in the mid 1970's! It had been remodeled into living space by the previous owner, but still had the tall original windows, siding, and wainscoting. I spent an entire winter removing a dozen layers of paint from all that wainscoting! There were two very small rooms on either side of the front door, then a living room and kitchen in back. Two tiny bedrooms were off to the right with bathroom in between. My dad cut a hole in the kitchen floor and hinged it in order to have access to the dug out partial basement, previously only accessed thru big ground level doors on the outside. We put a wood burning furnace in that basement and each morning had to lift that big chunk of kitchen floor, step down that little ladder, and 'feed' the furnace. But it provided a lot more warmth than the previous oil heater! Every time it rained hard we'd get a flat tire or two as horseshoe nails were exposed in the sloped gravel driveway:). I LOVED that house and all the history that went with it!! I worked at the OLD county home on Hwy 13 near Marion then. So much history there, as well. I hated leaving that house more than any other I have ever lived in! It IS nice to see it now being maintained and lived in. Thanks for sharing the pics of thes old school houses!

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Thank you for that great story!