ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Adams #1, Wellman School

This school is SW of Ottumwa.  Built 1909.  Located at 20471 Copperhead Road (county H-47).  From Ottumwa, proceed west out of town on Bluegrass Rd (H41) to 200th Ave and turn south, proceeding two miles to Copperhead Rd.  At Copperhead Rd turn west for 1/2 mile and the school is on the north side of the road.  205th Ave is the crossroad but there is really no road there, just traces.

Approaching from the east:

Photographed on 8 November 2016
This next photo was taken on 10/13/18

3 comments:

sandy lu said...

Oh look at the architecture of that
dear little structure/school. I was
taught 1-6 @ country school in KS.BEST YEARS!!!

Cheryl said...

Great photos

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Thank you!