ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Milo #8, Copperhead School

SE of Manchester.Dates posted above front porch are 1906-1953, but some think it was built late 1870s/early 1880s.  Square nails are observed in the construction.  If coming from the south on State Highway 13, turn east on 255th St and drive about 3.3 miles east to 197th Ave. and then turn north. Proceed about a mile and the school will be on the NW corner of 148th St.  If coming from Manchester, proceed south out of town on County X21/Jefferson Rd to the junction of 240th St/197th Ave and then turn south and proceed about 1/2 mile.

Photographed 11/26/17

5 comments:

Unknown said...

My dad, Merle, uncle Davey, and aunts Phylis, Marsha, and Marilyn Smith all attended, and some taught at this school!!! Uncle Davey tried to buy it from the man who now ownes our family farm where the school stands, but he repeatedly refused. What a shame! We would have moved and restored it!

Unknown said...

I have additional photos of the school, students and teachers from 1935-36 and others. If you have photos or stories to share or want mine, email @ ro-xi21@hotmail.com

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Unknown,
Perhaps the school can be restored in situ?

I have nothing additional, but we can hope your comment will bring information/photos to you.

Anonymous said...

My mom, Linda Spoerl, and my Aunt, Sue Spoerl and Uncle, Robert Spoerl, all attended there. I remember her telling me that all the grades sat in the one room schoolhouse together with only a wood burning stove to warm them.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Thanks for your memories!