ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Monday, March 5, 2018

Putnam #6, Honey Grove (Honey Creek?) School.

Closed in the 1950s.  Address is 5616 Honey Grove Rd.  From Ely one can proceed north on Jappa Rd to US30, and directly across the highway the road becomes Honey Grove Rd. From Cedar Rapids one would take C Street south and turn east under the railroad overpass on to old Ely Rd for a short distance and then turn east on Old River Rd.  Proceed ENE to Big Bend Rd, then proceed south to where it forks left and right on Honey Gove Rd; one needs to turn to the left to the school.  Over grown and not taken care of; shows an addition to the front, and a garage attached to its west side.
Photographed 3/2/18

4 comments:

Jessica W. said...

Hi, I was wondering if you have any more information about the history of this property as a school? This house belonged to my grandparents. As far as I am aware, according to my grandmother, the current house was not the school house, but was built on the same site after the school was either torn down or destroyed by a fire. Unfortunately my grandparents passed several years ago, so I'm just relying on memory. My mother has the property abstract, which I need to take another look at. Growing up, we did have the original school bell, and there is still one there, but I think it's a different bell and the neighbors a few houses down have the original now.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Jessica,

We have no information about it at all, only that it was a school. Your comment about the school being replaced by this house makes it very sad that another school has been lost to history.

Jessica W. said...

After some more consulting, I believe it is the original school house. The fire might have been before this one was built, pre-1900. I just remember my grandmother talking about a fire and it being a school house. After a bit of research, it seems the school was converted into a residence in the 1950s. My grandfather built the garage, and the "addition" to the front is just the front porch having been enclosed (which I will be undoing once we've cleaned the place up and begun working on restoring the house).

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Jessica,

Thank you so much for going to all that trouble. What an interesting history! I appreciated the extra information.