ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Pleasant Township #?

While the information I have states that this school is on its original location, and Google satellite shows it in place, this is no longer true.  It’s been moved east about 1/2 mile and put behind a house, facing east, with a garage door cut into it. The original bell is on a post just south of the school. To find this school take Bladensburg Rd NE from Ottumwa to Agency Hedrick Rd and turn north to 120th St. Proceed east on 120th to 60th Ave, and the original location was on the north side of the street just east of the farm, facing south.  Continue east to the next farm and you can see it in the rear of the house.

Photographed 10/13/18

No comments: