ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Grange Hall Independent School

West of Mt. Vernon, 2.5 miles north of Mt. Vernon Rd on Museum Rd. Sits on north side of Linn #4, used for storage. Originally stood around the corner almost at the Intersection of Linn Ridge Rd. and Springville Road on the NW corner of that intersection.

Photographed 3/31/20
UPDATE: Destroyed by a derecho on 8/10/20.

3 comments:

grumpybb said...

Would this have been across the street from Mt Zion Cemetery? I never knew this was there. :(

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I don't remember; I'm not familiar with the area; someone told me about them.

Lady Chal said...

Yes, this would have been the one up by Mt. Zion Cemetery. As near as I can tell according to the 1907 Linn County atlas, it would have originally stood further down on the corner of Springville and Linn Ridge roads.