ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Franklin #3 Union School, Donnellson

On 1/21/06, while coming back from Eagle Days in Keokuk, IA, we were heading up US218 as usual when Jill spotted this school about a mile west of the highway on 190th St, about three miles north of Donnellson.  Normally, in the summer, trees would have blocked the view from the highway, but this winter drive let us see it.  So we drove down and shot it - and I told Jill she had the "eagle eye."
On 7/23/11 we re-photographed this school, and you can see how it looks behind all the weeds in the summertime.  Also notice the chimney is missing and the roof painted.
On 6/29/12 I was e-mailed the following information:
" This school, 3 miles north and 1 mile west of Donnellsonn in Section 17, is thought to have been built in the 1840's. It was damaged by fire in the 1880's or '90's. It was rebuilt perhaps within the original walls. The school closed in 1941 and the building still stands, used for storage."

No comments: