ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Walker, IA, Polk #6

This school was one we came across on our way home from Independence, the same day we shot the previous photo (10/30/05).  We took a back road to a friend's house before heading home, and passed this school 3.5 miles west of Walker, on the south side of Iowa SR 920, at the junction of County Route J92.
UPDATE 12/10/10:  SR920 is now designated County Route D62.  This school is no longer here.  Some foundation debris was seen today; perhaps it was moved elsewhere rather than torn down?

UPDATE 11/20/18: I learned from someone who knew a member of the family who rented the farm on which this school stood, and they were told that a grass fire got out of control and burned down this school.

No comments: