ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pilot Grove, Pilot Township #6

This school is located north of Williamsburg on SR149 and is in front of BJ Wrecker Service being used for storage.  It was originally located in Pilot Township, about 4.5 miles WSW of its current location, at L Ave and 247th St.  Built in 1874, it was active until 1949.  In 1954 it was moved to Williamsburg for use as a meeting place for the local VFW post, and years later moved to its current location.

UPDATE 11/10/15:  Today while on a trip to Williamsburg, I noticed this building was being disassembled, so I stopped to inquire as to what was taking place.  The building has been purchased by Ron Holden and is scheduled to be moved to a new foundation on Maple St, about three blocks east of SR149, to be restored to it's school days, and next to one of the original houses in town, also being restored by the same owner.  The floor and walls are still fairly well preserved as can be seen by the one photo I was able to shoot through a window:

UPDATE 1/18/16:  Today we photographed the school on its new site.

On 11/12/16 we were in Williamsburg and decided to check on the progress of the preservation:
And here are shots of the house next to it, also being worked on:
UPDATE 11/2/18:  School preservation is complete!  I saw on the 'net that it was even furnished inside.
A replica train depot has also been built here, immediately to the west of this school.

No comments: