ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town, and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by, I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married, the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school, but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school, it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here, and the one with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Campton School, Lamont, IA

We found this school on the northeast corner of Buchanan-Delaware county line road and County Route CR64, which was really about 3 miles east of Lamont.  The school says "museum" on it, but when we pushed the door open to look in, it was quite a shambles and everything was covered in dust, so it's been a while since it was even a museum.

4 comments:

Jennifer Klingman said...


I'm sorry that you did not know who to get in touch with concerning this particular school. The man that owns the building is Mike Cook. It is not really a museum in the traditional sense, but there is a museum in Lamont that Mike also owns. Mike has taken the time and money to preserve the school, and it is open so people can go inside. You might be able to contact Mike Cook at his address: 1473 Washington Ave. Lamont IA 50650

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Well, we didn't really have time to search for owners, etc. I had just played for a wedding in Masonville and was all dressed up in my kilt and formal wear, but we'd heard about this school so I figured since we were in the area we may as well get a shot of it.
Thanks for the info.

GODREDNU said...

The sad fact is that my grandparents and children lived in this building for many years. I grew up
coming to the home of my grandparents on Sundays and spending much of the day roaming the
farm and down to the creek and the old iron bridge that crossed it.

Many summers the Holroyd children would come and bring their families for barbeques or work
in the two massive gardens grandpa would have.

Then in the fall we'd pick apples of the many varieties that grew near the house. In the winter we
played in the snow and help grandpa cut and bring fire wood to the yard near the house.

It's sad because I have no memory of it being Campton School, only my grandparents home for
all those years.

Those years we came and shared with our Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and Grandparents shared
fellowship, food and even learning.

Yes it was a school but to me it was more. When I stepped inside that run down shell of what
was a warm and friendly home, it was sad, sad indeed.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

GOREDNU,

Thanks much for your story.

We too find it sad the way these remnants of the past are so neglected.