ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Monday, August 16, 2010

Carroll Township #5, Center School

Yesterday, 8/15/10, we decided to head over to Traer to see a school that was supposed to be there.  Arriving in town, I decided to ask a local for directions to the location, so I pulled over when I saw people outside a community center where a family reunion was just held.  I was told that school no longer existed.  Bummer.  Then I was questioned as to why I was looking for it, which led to the explanation of all this hobby stuff.  One gentleman, Tom Podhajsky, said there was a school down by his farm which is now used to store hay, but was the one he used to go to - Carroll #5.  Others in the the group began talking and we learned there was #6 about 1 1/2 miles from #5, but that it was moved to the nearby town of Clutier.  Another one, # 2, had been moved to Dysart.


Well, this was sort of exciting!  So Tom offered to lead us down to #5 since it was on his way home.  From   Traer we travelled south on US63 to PP Ave on our left, and headed south down that road until ended at 220th St.  We turned west a short distance to P Ave and then headed south again.  About 1/4 mile south of 245th we pulled up to the school.

As you can see, the south wall with the door is missing.  There is a lean-too on each side, and the east side is for the cattle to come into some shelter.

UPDATE 10/14/15:   We learned at a country school conference this past weekend that this school has been torn down.

No comments: