ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Dover #1

While looking for Dover #6, we met a very nice gentleman in Clermont, whose name was Dean.  He was very helpful with directions to Dover #6, and then told us about others we already had photographed except for this particular one.   Originally located at the NW corner of CR W42 and B40 (Great River Rd).  Relocated 2 miles north of B40 on the west side of W42.  It is being remodeled into a Bed and Breakfast.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe this is a photo of Dover Center School...it is where we voted in Dover Twnshp at one time. Dover #1 was on W42 about 2.5 miles north of West Union. It is now on a farm place. My dad went to Dover #1.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Anonymous,

Well, I'm confused.

We got the information about this school from that individual who seemed to know all about the other schools. The original location of this school, as described in the comments (from his information), would have been about four miles north of West Union.

From your description of where Dover #1 was, that would be more centrally located in the township for a "Center School." Yet normally those with #1 as the ID would be in the NE area of the township, which, according to the information I have here, also isn't the NE area. So, by looking at the map, if the original location was as described to me then I agree it probably is "Center School" but with your location being only 2.5 miles north of West Union, that wouldn't be near the center of the township, rather it would be the southern area.

If I go with the ID of "Center School," then do you know what township # that would be?