ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Hilton #2, Hilton School

This school was closed in 1917.  The building was then moved by horses to 2444 172nd St, about 3/4 mile west of its original location at the intersection of 172nd St and CR V77/SR149.  The school became an addition behind a house.  From Marengo, proceed east on US 6 to SR149/CR V77, then proceed south to 172nd St.  Proceed about 3/4 mile west and the the house will be on the south side of the road.  The school/addition is not visible from the road because it is in the back.

The first two photos are scanned from Owen Jones' book, One-Room School Houses: Iowa County, Iowa 1844-1966.  The first photo shows what the school looked like, and Owen says the source of the photo is unknown.  The second photo was provided to Owen by the current homeowner, showing the back of the house.  

The last photo, taken from 172nd St, shows the front of the house, but the addition is not visible, and when I took the photo I did not want to trespass on the property.
Photographed 10/1/11

No comments: