ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Scott Township #7, Franklin School


SE of Iowa City at 4405 Oasis Rd.  To locate from Iowa City, proceed southeast out of town on highway U.S. 6.  One mile east of the junction with American Legion Rd is Oasis Rd, which is unpaved.  Turn north on Oasis and proceed one mile; the school is on the west side of the road, just south of the junction with Osage St, which is only on the east side of Oasis.  A house stands on the site, and the north section of the house appears to have been the original school.
Photographed on 2/16/13

No comments: