ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pleasant Valley #?

This school was not on the 1912 school map, and looks to have been built about 1940.  Perhaps a replacement school for older ones (there were schools both one mile north and one mile south).

To reach this school, the town of Hills is a good place to start.  Proceed east on Highway F62 to highway W66, which is about 1.25 miles east of Hills city limits.  Turn south and proceed one mile to 540th St, and the school is on the NW corner.  Notice the pump on the south side of the school building.

The condition of the school is poor, and it may have been used as a home after closing.  Now the inside is completely trashed, being full of old appliances and furniture and other trash and garbage.

Photographed 4/27/13

UPDATE 8/2/17:  This school was demolished by 2017.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This building was used as a Mennonite Church in the 50's, 60's and I think into the 70's. Rev Herman Smucker was th minister for years. I attended church there for a time s child an into high school, summer Bible school
I remember when the front addition with the front doors was added, somehre aroun the early 60's. I never knew this as a school, only as a church. I m 62 so that hs been several years

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Bonnie,

Thank you for that information. Very often churches look like schools and are easily confused as such. Usually churches have cemeteries associated with them, which is why we thought this was a school. The front was an obvious addition, so good to get the verification.

I'm still wondering if it was a school prior to use as a church, or if it was built as a church. It would be nice to have positive confirmation of what it started as. If it was a church, then we can remove this from our collection!