ORIGINS

I grew up in a small Ohio town and I rode the school bus from 1st through 12th grades. My bus ride always included a country road on which every school day we saw a one-room brick school house. (SW corner of Stine Rd and Enon-Xenia Pike). As the years went by I watched this wonderful, familiar friend fall apart. After I married the school really began to deteriorate. Every time we visited the area I would want to take a photo of the school but never did. Finally, when we went specifically for the task, the school was gone. It was a huge loss for me and, since that time, whenever we pass a one-room school it is a joy to stop to take a picture or two. Thus, our collection here and the blog with schools in other states. Jill :oD

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Sharon Township #5, Mt. Ida School

Located on the north side of State Highway 136 about 3 miles west of Lost Nation and 1/4 mile east of 108th Ave; address is 1096.  Built 1930.  Residence.


Photographed on 10/26/15

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am interested in the history of Mt. Ida school because my grandfather and his siblings attended this school as did my mother until 1927. I'm assuming that the brick building was built in 1930 and probably replaced a wooden structure. Are there any photos of that school building? Are there any histories of the school?
Thank you.
Virginia Haynes
Huntington Beach, CA

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Virginia,

Our guess is also that the brick school replaced a wooden one, but we have no knowledge of its history, or if there are any photos of the older structure.

I'm sorry we can't help you.